Thursday 25 November 2010

Authenticity in Photography - My Photography

If you, as a photographer or a film director, are trying to portray a certain decade or era through your work, it is important that attention to detail is considered in every micro aspect to gain that authentic look you are going for. I wanted to do a response to James Nader's work and also link it back to chiaroscuro (light and dark).


Pictures and more after the jump.







So I got my sister to be my model for this over-the-top 1980's project. I pictured a woman in my head from the 1980's that is a complete shoe off. I imagine that a lot of women back then were very much interested in material things and the high-life. So I got my sister to play a posh, high society woman. And I wanted to focus around the late 1980's for this.






I decided to make a film for it as well as a photo-shoot. The photos concentrated on the use of chiaroscuro whilst the video concentrated on authenticity and chiaroscuro.


This Picture works well because the contrast of light and dark is not too strong.
Therefore, the tonal adjustment is not too extreme.



In reference to chiaroscuro, this photo is probably my favourite.  I like the effect of the light and dark plated against each other because even though it is a strong contrast, the tone is not too dark or too light.

I like this photo because you have all the perfumes and the
jewellery framing the shot and then you have the really good
black and white tones ranging from extremely bright to extremely dark.
Although this picture is really bright towards the bottom,
it is still really an interesting photo to me. I like the
shadow in the background and how it doesn't
really mirror the subject in the foreground.

No comments:

Post a Comment