Tuesday 26 October 2010

Artist Analysis: Eduard 'Edu' Grau


This is one of the photos taken for the French Connection campaign by Edu Grau. I particularly like this photo in terms of male representation and masculinity because the male model used is the complete opposite to the stereotypical image of a ‘man’ shown in media today.

Read more after the jump.



This man is shown with thick ungroomed facial hair and long un-brushed hair tied back. He is not smouldering with blonde hair and blue eyes. Yet he still looks suave in his suit. I believe that this works for my theme because it shows that a real man is not the perfect pristine image shown in media today but he is rough but masculine. This message of masculinity and representation can also tie in with ideas such as identity and conventional representation.





This is one of the photos from the French connection campaign by Edu Grau for the women's line. I like this photo because of its simple sheek look. The woman is shown with a jumper and a scarf wrapped around her head. But what caught my eye was that the model was playing with a leaf. The leaf with the woman could be a connotation for Mother Nature and how pure and soulful a woman is. In terms of femininity, this photo shows it through the little smile on the woman's face. Also, I think that the pale lighting also shows some sort of message of being feminine in contrast to the dark shadowy lighting in the man’s picture. The pale lighting is soft, calm and light, which is how you stereotypically think of an elegant lady.

If I was to give this photo a name, I would call it ‘Blossom’ because it reminds me of a young girl becoming a lady with chronological (the watch) references.



No comments:

Post a Comment